Friday, January 4, 2008

Wow!

In the late Spring of 1968 I met Robert F. Kennedy in Cheyenne, Wyoming. He gave a rousing speech to a large group of people. Afterwards, there was a small gathering for about twenty people who were involved in the Kennedy political campaign. I was in that group and had the opportunity to meet Bobby Kennedy and shake his hand. We spoke for a few moments. It was just before the Nebraska primary. I will never forget the moment and the energy of that evening. He looked me straight in the eye and we connected for that moment.

Last night, I had Bobby Kennedy flashbacks as I listened to the Barack Obama speech after his Iowa primary victory. Obama was mesmerizing! He is the agent for change that this country needs. He is the face of the new generation. He represents every good thing that this country, at its democratic, egalitarian core stands for.

I hope and pray that we never again experience the horrible end of promise that befell this nation with the assassination of Bobby Kennedy. Let this promise live.

No comments: