Friday, February 8, 2008

Oh my! Obama!

Today, Barack Obama was in Seattle for a speech at Seattle Center’s Key Arena.
We arrived at 11:00am when it had been announced the doors would open. As we approached the Arena people were streaming toward the building. There were long lines at either entrance. Each line had thousands of people cued up. We got in line and moved quickly toward the doors to the “Key,” as we call it in Seattle. The Arena holds 13 or 14 thousand people. We were ten people from the door when they closed access. The building was jammed, with standing room only.

Outside there were easily 5 to 8 thousand people waiting to go inside. The arena is equipped with speakers outside that broadcast the event. Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels introduced Governor Christine Gregorie who, in turn, introduced Obama. Gregorie gave the most impassioned speech I have ever heard her give.

The Obama came through the crowd, touching outstretched hands. The crowd roared.
Obama gave his classic stump speech. There are so many lines that just make you spontaneously cheer. And I did!!

The crowd was as diverse as I have ever seen. Young and old with every ethnic variety present. I saw some of my aging limousine liberal friends. It was magic, and uplifting. Indeed, it was like a rock concert with great energy and enthusiasm in the crowd. Obama has an elixir which is indescribable and utterly alien to the Clinton camp. They are beside themselves.

Last night Hillary Clinton was in Seattle. She drew a crowd of 5 thousand. Our caucus is on Saturday so they are all in town. McCain comes tonight. Janet Huck-a-Buck spoke at noon today at an evangelical college outside of town. I would have gone to hear her, but I couldn’t find my best print dress.

No comments: