Saturday, September 27, 2008

Analysis of the First Debate

Several commentators have remarked on McCain's failure to look at Obama during last night's debate. A PhD who focuses on cognitive and social behavior in monkey's posted the following comment on Talking Points Memo

"I think people really are missing the point about McCain's failure to look at Obama. McCain was afraid of Obama. It was really clear--look at how much McCain blinked in the first half hour. I study monkey behavior--low ranking monkeys don't look at high ranking monkeys. In a physical, instinctive sense, Obama owned McCain tonight and I think the instant polling reflects that."

Makes sense to me. My earlier post on "Pipsqueak for President," is a variation on this point. It is hard to be Alpha when you are tiny.

No comments: